First Time Students
Things to know before your first class:
- No reservation or pre-registration is required.
- First-time students must arrive at least 15 minutes before class for orientation. This includes visiting Bikram Yoga students, regardless of previous experience.
- You can save time by printing and completing our registration and liability waiver before you arrive.
- New students under the age of 18 need parental permission or should be accompanied by an adult for their first class.
- New students who purchase class packages on their first visit to Bikram Yoga Richmond receive their first class free.
Helpful Tips for First-Timers:
- Feeling nervous, scared or a little intimidated? Many people feel that way initially. Don't let it stop you from coming to class. Bikram designed this class for beginners. With patience and a little practice, you'll quickly feel right at home.
- Good hydration supports the healthy function of your body’s systems and makes the heat feel comfortable rather than overwhelming.
- Don't think you have to get into shape before coming to class. That puts the cart before the horse! Begin your practice, and before you know it you will begin to lose weight, get in shape and feel wonderful.
- Remember, everyone has to endure the very first Bikram Yoga class, and everyone remembers it! The people who have been coming for years make it look easy because they stuck with the yoga.
- A minimum commitment of 10 classes in 30 days is required to derive maximum benefit from this yoga program. Make up your mind to take 10 classes as quickly as possible. Then no one has to tell you how good this yoga is for you. Your own experience will guide you.
What if I have injuries or illnesses?
- Please let the teacher know if you have had recent surgery or have any injuries, illnesses or special conditions.
- For women who are pregnant, we recommend an established Bikram Yoga practice (at least six months) beforehand.
What should I bring?
- An open mind and a positive attitude.
- Proper attire: Wear light and fitted clothing, such as sport bras, shorts, swimwear. Avoid sweatpants, long pants or heavy T-shirts.
- Yoga mat, large towel and water. (These items are also available for sale or rent).
- Empty stomach. Refrain from eating two to three hours before class.
- Proper hydration. Please drink plenty of water throughout the day before coming to class.
What to expect during class?
- Expect to sweat. The room is heated, and sweating is an intentional component of Bikram Yoga
- Class is 90 minutes. We do 26 postures (two sets of each posture) and two breathing exercises.
- Set up your mat in the rear of the yoga room.
- Feel free to approach the instructors with any questions or concerns before and after class.
What should I do after class?
- Cool down in the yoga room.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Take your second class within 24 hours.